Honor fallen soldiers with this Memorial Day study, designed for children grades 2-6. Because My Little Robins' resources are designed for the whole family, younger and older students may enjoy this study too, but please use discretion with younger children due to the nature of this observance.
This study is made up of four parts, with each part centered around a picture book. You'll find copywork, songs, history, scripture, and handiwork to help your children understand the history of Memorial and special traditions that surround it. Through this study, children will-
- learn hymns and traditional songs related to Memorial Day
- recognize the symbolism of the flag that is folded at military funerals
- read about Arlington National Cemetery
- understand the origins of Declaration Day, which later became Memorial Day
- learn about the White Table used to remember fallen veterans
- make a symbolic gift from the kitchen
- research the branches of the military
- write worthy, inspiring quotes and Bible passages
You can complete this study in 4 days or 4 weeks, depending on how much time you'd like to devote each day.
The books used in this study are pictured but not included (optional books not pictured: Rolling Thunder by Kate Messner, The Wall by Eve Bunting, and John Brown by Jon Hendrix.
*This is a digital product. No physical product will be sent to you.